soar n : the act of rising upward into the air [syn: zoom]
2 fly by means of a hang glider [syn: hang glide]
3 fly upwards or high in the sky
4 go or move upward; "The stock market soared after the cease-fire was announced"
5 fly a plane without an engine [syn: sailplane]
EtymologyFrom etyl fr s'essorer, essorer, from etyl la ex + aura; akin to Greek αὔρα. Compare aura, and exhale.
- To fly aloft, as a
bird; to mount upward on
wings, or as on wings. Chaucer.
- When soars Gaul's vulture with his wings unfurled. Byron.
- To rise in thought, spirits, or imagination; to be exalted in mood.
To fly aloft; to mount upward on wings
To rise in thought, spirits, or imagination; to be exalted in mood
- The act of soaring; upward flight.
- This apparent soar of the hooded falcon. Coleridge.
- make a sound
Soar may refer to:
- Soaring, a mode of flight
- Soar (album), the second album (released 1991) by the American band Samiam
- Hank Soar (1914–2001), an American football player, baseball umpire and basketball coach
- Soar (cognitive architecture)
- 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), a US Army regiment
- Soap on a Rope (SoaR), a webcomic
- Smalltalk on a RISC, a project to develop a specialized RISC CPU for the execution of Smalltalk bytecode
- Safe Operating Area, typically used to describe power limitations of electronic components
- Southern Astrophysical Research Telescope
- SOAR (camp), a Girl Guide camp held in British Columbia every three years
- Any of several places in the United Kingdom:
soar in German: SOAR
soar in French: Soar
advance, aeroplane, airlift, airplane, arise, ascend, aspire, back, back up, balloon, be airborne, become airborne, budge, bulk, bulk large, buss the clouds, change, change place, circle, claw skyward, climb, cruise, descend, drift, ebb, escalate, exceed, ferry, flit, float, flow, fly, fly aloft, gain altitude, get over, glide, go, go around, go round, go sideways, gyrate, hang, hop, hover, hydroplane, increase, jet, kite, leave the ground, lift, loom, loom large, mount, move, move over, navigate, outsoar, outstrip, overtop, plane, plunge, poise, progress, rear, regress, retrogress, rise, rise above, rocket, rotate, run, sail, sailplane, seaplane, shift, shoot, shoot up, sink, spin, spire, stand on tiptoe, stand out, stir, stream, subside, take off, take the air, take wing, tower, tower above, transcend, travel, up, uprear, uprise, volplane, wane, whirl, wing, zoom